Our brand new topic in Orchid class is to learn about Romans and Greeks. I am going to write a bit about Roman slaves.
Roman slaves could be men, woman or even children.
- If a child’s parent was a slave, the child would also automatically be a slave.
- A wealthy Roman, would have about 400 or sometimes even 500 slaves in there Villas. (Wealthy romans lived in Villas.)
- Roman empires used to have (sometimes even over) 20,000 slaves.
- The slaves used to have to help dress the family; drying them after they have bathed; cleaning the Villa and so on.
- It would be extremely fortunate for a slave to be freed after about thirty years! They would be called freedman or freewoman.
- The hardest job for a slave to do was working in mines.
- Naturally, (most of the time) a gladiator would be a slave.
- Poor Roman slaves mostly ate porridge, bread or vegetables.
- A slave could be treated very badly by their master and that was not suprising, in Roman times.